African-Americans and American in general know very little about their history. See if you can answer these questions.
- What political party was started in the 1850’s to stop the spread of slavery?
- John Fremont was their first presidential candidate in 1856 but who was the second presidential candidate in 1860?
- The anti-slavery party was responsible for freeing ALL slaves through the 13th Amendment over the opposition of its rival party. What was the name of the rival party that didn’t want the freeing of slaves?
- Confederate rebels who fought against the United States in the Civil War were pardoned by this president who was a member of what political party? (Two answers)
- In the aftermath of the Civil War, military forces were sent into the south to protect the freedmen by members of Congress from what political party and what was this period called? (Two answers)
- The African-American men elected into former Confederate state legislatures were members of what political party?
- What Constitutional Amendment gave the freed male slaves the right to vote?
- In what year was a deal made to withdraw federal troops from the south?
- What were the three methods used by southern states to withhold voting rights from African-American men and ultimately Africa-American women? (Three answers)
- Who was the first president to have an African-American leader as a guest in the White House and he was from what party? (Two answers)
- What African-American leader threatened a march on Washington, D.C. in the 1940’s before Martin Luther King’s march?
- What was meant by the political term “the solid south” up until the 1960s?
- The Supreme Court handed down the decision that “separate but equal” was constitutional?
- What Supreme Court Case reversed the “separate but equal” decision and called for the integration of schools?
- Who was the first African-American Supreme Court Justice?
- What President used federal troops to enforce the desegregation of Little Rock High School in the 1960’s?
- The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed under what President?
- The 24th Amendment outlawed what method used in the south to prevent or limit African-American voting?
- The first 20th century black presidential candidate to run in nationwide primaries in 1984 and 1988 was what man?
- Who was the first African American cabinet member?
How many could you answer?